Friday, March 17, 2017

Week 6: Set Three of Surveys And Beginning My Analysis


Hey Everyone! I trust that this week went well for you all! For me this week went pretty well, but a majority of it was routine.  This week I was able to workout with some of the clients and also had some interesting discussions. However, a majority of this week was trying to acquire more results.


This week with regards to my research, my site mentor had given some good news. He had asked me to show the list of people who had taken the survey. I had pulled up the excel spreadsheet of the responses. After looking at the spreadsheet, he said he could deduce which clients still needed to take the survey.  He then could have them actually take the survey. 

 Although I had received this news from my site mentor, the rate that responses were coming in was slower than expected. This week I was only able to get 3-4 people to complete the survey. But  I was able to get some people who come in the morning to complete the survey, which was a little reassuring. With some new ideas that I gained from my faculty advisor, I wish to incentive more people who come in the mornings and evenings to take my survey next week.

I was also able to start analyzing the responses for some trends this week. The first two set of results I compared were the pre and post workout ratings. After taking a look at the data, I saw that a majority of the clients’ responses showed an increase in rating from before to after the workout.  Many of the clients’ had gone from 4-6 out of 10 to 8-9 out of 10. I could see a significant change in the short term. I was also able to plot an initial graph to see the change over time.  The graph supported that trend and showed an increase in rating of mood post workout.  
For next week, I will continue to go at an earlier time to my site to get people in the morning and also potentially stay later some days to get people in the evening.  With some ideas given by my faculty advisor, I will try to convince more people to participate in my research. In the coming weeks, with the help of my site mentor, I also hope to start gathering the specific demographic for my control group. By doing so, I will be able to start comparing the control group’s results to my sample group’s results to test my hypothesis.
I bet a lot of you have the same reaction as Usain Bolt. So that’s all for this week! I hope I did not bore you with, what I think is somewhat repetitive, details. Just so I don’t leave you bored or tired of the same stuff, I’ll share a cool nutrition fact I learned. This week, my site mentor had told me how carbs are more easily stored than proteins. This is because proteins, to be stored, need to converted into many different molecules. This is very energy expensive process. Carbohydrates, meanwhile, do not require as much energy as they do not need to be converted to as many different molecules to be stored.  Thus, the body more easily stores carbs. Well thanks for reading and tune in next week to see how I progress!

24 comments:

  1. Hey Anirudh! Sounds like you are making progress little by little in your study! A little progress is always better than none! Anyway, you mentioned that you have more people who have taken your survey. How many people have taken it so far? Also, how many people so you want to take it? Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brent! Thanks for reading! So far I have about 25 people who have completed the survey. For the amount of people I want to take the survey, I wanted to get as many as possible.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anirudh!

    It seems like you are really enjoying your time on site! Is there anyway for you to remedy how slowly you are getting responses? Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anjalee, thanks for reading! It is a very complicated situation as I cannot really check if they fill out the survey and I cannot really make clients take the survey. Rather I can only try to incentivize them which I am working on doing.

      Delete
  3. Hey Anirudh! Glad to see you are progressing well with your research. Surveying in the morning seemed to have worked out for you. Also, your predictions seem to be proving with the data you have told us! I hope next time we can get a chance to see the graph you plot with the data! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi! Yeah, it seemed to have worked out. I hope I can make more conclusions after I get my control group as well! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anirudh,
    I hope the ideas we discussed will help increase the number of surveys that are coming in. It sounds like the data you have collected so far, is giving you an accurate reading on your research. I think the more data you can collect the better. Especially having some background information on your clients to include in your research. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Afsa, I hope they will as well. So far they have been working and I am also collecting that background data. Again I hope to get more results soon. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  5. Hi Anirudh, Good to hear your week went pretty well, hopefully next week is even better. Hopefully more responses start coming in. Can't wait to see any conclusions you come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riley thanks for reading! Yeah I hope it goes well too! Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hey Anirudh!
    Keep on going with your research! I really hope more people start taking your survey but at least your still getting some results! Despite the lack of completed surveys, I'm glad to see that you're able to still get answers. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan, thanks for reading! Yeah I hope more people take the survey as well! Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  7. hey Anirudh! thats amazing that you got some people in the morning to do the survey as you said that they are often in a rush. the nutrition fact was very interesting. i hope more people start taking the survey, maybe you could make a shorter survey for those in the mornings just so you can get a bit more data especially for the main questions. good luck and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean! Thanks for reading! I hope more people take the survey as well. I will consider making a shorter survey potentially. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hi Anirudh! How do you plan to incentivize clients to take the surveys? Also, are you having them (or hope to have them) take the survey multiple weeks in a row to track progress? Glad your research is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stirling! I plan on physically being there and trying to get them to complete the survey. I also may try to print out the survey to potentially incentivize people. With regards to your second question, I don't plan on resurveying people, just getting as many people as possible and comparing that with the control group.

      Delete
  9. Hi! Sounds like the survey is doing very well. However, getting more people to actually take the survey would probably help with the research and everything else. All that aside, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie, thanks for reading! Getting more people will help my research and I hope to get more people to take my survey. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  10. Hey Anirudh!
    Are you going to research at what point the exercise impacting the mood becomes redundant and their mood stops changing? Does the food they eat also impact their mood, do you include a sections in your survey that has the client post their regular nutrition? Good luck and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew! Thanks for reading! I might look into that possibility that after a point the mood might be constant. I'll probably include that as a reference in my research. I am not sure if food really impacts mood; however, I will look more into that. If there is, I'll reference it in my survey.

      Delete
  11. Hi Anirudh! It's good to see your survey/research is advancing well! Though the body easily stores carbohydrates, is it easier or faster to expend that into energy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya, thanks for reading! I am not sure if it's easier to use just because carbs are more easily stored. However, I will ask my site mentor.

      Delete
  12. Hey Anirudh. Nice to see your project progressing (even if it is at a slow rate). Also, I was wondering how many people you think is a good amount for each demographic of your testing group, for example, how many people do you want to complete the survey based on their differing stress levels. Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha, thanks for reading! I am trying to get as many people as possible with a wide demographic. However, I want to try to get an analyzable amount for different workloads and stress levels. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete