Friday, March 10, 2017

Week 5: A Week to Strengthen the Base

Hey everyone! I trust that you guys had a great week and are as enthusiastic to hear my progress.  As Friday rolls around, I am very eager to share my progress and some new stories. So lets dive right into it! 
Like the last few weeks, the general routine for me this week was constant. I was able to observe people working out, learn some new exercises and what muscle(s) they target, and how could these potentially lead to less stress. I was also able to workout with my site mentor when he had some free time.  However, what stood out this week was the talks I had with my site mentor.  These topics were basically from curiosities that I had and processes that I was confused about when working out on my own. 

The first topic I discussed was on what to eat before and after the workout. I asked my site mentor this question and he referred me to one of the other trainers there who he felt knew a lot on the subject. We then asked the other trainer and he was willing to explain it to me. Him and I sat down and discussed it further. He explained that one should eat carbohydrates and proteins before and after the workout.  He further elaborated that depending on the person, the ratio of carbs to proteins changes—usually the ratio is 4 carbs to 3 proteins.  He also recommended that one should eat an hour and a half before their workout and the carbohydrates consumed then should be slow digested carbohydrates.  After the workout, he recommended that one should again have carbs and proteins, but the carbs could be ones that are more easily digested.   

The second topic was on what types of exercises to burn more fat. My site mentor told me that I should not think of fat burning in that way. He told me burning fat does not occur on a hourly basis, but rather on a daily basis. If you use more calories than you consume daily, you  generally burn more fat.  He said relatively speaking certain exercises can help in the process of using calories throughout the day, but fat loss is based on daily caloric intake and expenditure not certain specific exercises. 
Moving on to what I did this week with my research. Last week, I had mentioned a trend that was occurring. My site mentor was not able to get the surveys out to many people who come in the morning and evenings. This was because many were in a rush to get in an out of the gym. This week he was able to send the surveys to more people. But the problem of people forgetting to finish the surveys was still there. This again limited my sample group this week to people who came in the afternoon. I asked if there was any way to mitigate that. He said it is difficult to make sure people fill out the survey. I then suggested that I come in earlier a few days. Potentially, physically being present could be an incentive for people to fill the survey out right after the workout. He thought that was a good start, so I plan on trying that next week. Despite the problem still existing, I was able to get six more people to take the survey this week.  I hope with this new idea, I am to get more people to complete the survey.

In the coming weeks, I hope to start planning on ways to gather a control group as. I also want to gather more data on the sample group to soon begin analyzing the data for trends.

Well, that’s all I have for this week! I trust I did not bore you with this long post. Tune in next week to see what new things I do! Until then…

22 comments:

  1. Hey Anirudh! Sounds like you are having quite a bit of fun with your project! I just wanted to ask a couple questions about the dieting strategies you mentioned. You said that people should have carbohydrates and protein before and after a workout. How much is recommended for each person. You gave a ratio, but not a specific amount based on the person. Keep me posted! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brent, thanks for reading! To answer your question, the specific amounts for each person vary. There are a lot of variables that factor into that such as fitness level, genetics, previous dieting habits, etc. So it is hard to say exact amounts.

      Delete
  2. Hey Anirudh!
    I think it's really interesting what the trainer said about the ratio of carbs to protein. I never knew that! I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting people to finish your survey. I think you're doing a great job and taking the initiative by being there physically to hand out the survey. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan! Yeah, what the trainer said was pretty interesting to me. I always wondered what exactly to eat before and after the workout as well; so what the trainer said was pretty interesting. I also hope to get more survey results as well. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  3. Hello, again.

    Your research applies to me every day as well. Before I go to karate, I always have to eat an hour before, which I didn't understand completely. It's fascinating to know about carbs and proteins. People are so lazy these days. Why can't they fill out a survey. Next week, if they don't, just stare at them and give them an evil eye. xD I really hope you get more survey answers. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! Yeah its pretty interesting how this material applies to many situations. With the people, I hope me physically being there can motivate them to complete the survey. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hey Anirudh, I found what you said about the ratio of carbs to protein to be quite interesting, however, as the workout changes, would the diet change? So if you were doing a high intensity would you consume a different ratio of carbs to proteins, and would you consume simple carbs as well for a quick release of energy, or would you eat the same ratio for each type of workout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew, thanks for reading! With regards to your question, the ratio of carbs and proteins doesn't depend on the workout rather but on the person and their condition. Ideally, if you do more work, you probably need more carbs, but the ratio really does not change based on the workout.

      Delete
  5. Hi! Reading about you learning just how important eating a healthy and well-balanced diet both before and after working out is very interesting, and many more people should learn about that! I hope all goes well with your survey. Good luck with your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie! It's really interesting to learn that material as well! I hope I can get more results in the coming weeks. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hi Anirudh!, it is very interesting the way science applies to working out. Also it was interesting to learn that eating before working out is beneficial. Good luck in getting those surveys filled out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Devin. It was really interesting to learn about the foods one should eat before and after the workout. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  7. Hey Anirudh, I've always wondered what to eat before working out, i have looked the question up several times, but the answers often vary and some of the answers seem a bit sketchy, but i never knew about the ratio of carbs to proteins. keep up the good work, and do you think that the amount of stress relieved because of exercising is greater in the morning or the afternoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean, thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I think the evening is when the most stress is relieved as one has had the whole day to accumulate the stress—such as job, home, etc. Again thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hey Anirudh. It was interesting the way you incorporated food and a proper diet into your post. I was also wondering what ways or by what variables the sample group and the control group will differ? Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha, thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I list out who I want in my control group in my week 2 post. The sample group I want to get a variety of people and with that I feel the variables that are changing are the frequency of working out, stress levels(psychological), and workload. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  9. Hey there Anirudh.

    Interesting how you included food into your research. Food and Beverages are very important to a proper workout! I want to know that what you eat and drink can affect the way you feel after the workout so much as it affects you before the workout.

    Thanks and good luck with your further research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi, thanks for reading! Yeah, diet plays a huge role in fitness and can affect how you feel before and after the workout. It can also affect the fitness of one over time. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  10. Hi Anirudh,
    Those are some interesting facts you have learned regarding nutrition from that trainer! I am glad to hear that you were able to get 6 more people just within this week to take the survey. I cant wait to hear if printing out the survey and physically handing it out to the people after they work out increases the number of people taking the survey. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Afsa! Those nutrition facts were really interesting! I will also try to print out the surveys and handing them out. Maybe the physcial copy of the survey will help incentivize people to take the survey. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  11. Hi Anirudh! This all sounds very interesting. You said that exercise wasn't the key component to fat-burning, so how much of a role does exercise play? Based on what you've learned, is exercise necessary at all for fat-burning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya! With regards to your question, exercise plays a role with how many calories you use up. With exercising, you use more calories. Exercise is a part of it in the sense that you use more calories, but a majority of fat burning is dieting. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete