Friday, March 24, 2017

Week 7: A Week That Pulled In More Results and Lifted Spirits


Hey everybody! It’s the end of the week and I am excited to share what I was able to do!  I hope this week went for you all as it did for me. Again, I am excited to share my experiences this week with you all, so lets get right into it! 
This week, compared to the previous week, was much better. This weekend, I was able to analyze more of the data I had. Last week, I had found out that many of the clients had reported an increase in mood rating. This weekend, I analyzed people’s daily stress versus how long they have continued exercise. After plotting graph, I found that a cluster of people who had high stress levels were also the ones who continually worked out for the shortest amount of time. I then categorized the data based on people with high, medium, and low workloads. After that, I analyzed the stress levels of each category versus their respective times they have continued exercise. I found that like the first graph, many people who reported high stress levels were the people who had not worked out as often. Although I analyzed the people with high and medium workloads, I was not able to fully analyze all the data because  I did not have enough data from people who had a low workload. In the coming weeks, I want to target people who have a low workload to be able to completely analyze that group.

After discussing this with my faculty advisor and getting her approval, I then focused this week on getting more people to complete the survey. This week I was on top of that and was able to get 6 more people to take the survey. Of those 6 people, half of them reported that they had a low workload, which was good in terms of the diversity in sample group. So in terms of the rate of responses, this week was better than the last two weeks.

In the coming weeks what I hope to do is to potentially get some more people who report a low workload. Then I can analyze that group of people’s data for trends. I also wish to start targeting my control group. For the control group, I had already created a background survey.  But before I hand them out to clients, I will consult with my on site mentor and my faculty advisor regarding the questions and any potential changes to them. 


Well that’s all for this week! Next week I plan on readying my survey for my control group and I also plan on getting some people who have a low workload so I can analyze their data as well.  Just so I don’t leave you bored, I’ll share my experience with this exercise I observed this week. This week I was able to observe a myriad of exercises and how they target different muscles in the body. But one exercise that stood out to me was this ab exercise. What it entails is yourself, a bosu ball, and a mat. Basically what you do is sit up on the ball and put one hand on you stomach and one at the back of you head. You then lay down and crunch up to contract your abs. I did a set of fifteen with one side and then switched sides. I continued to do this for two rounds. To me, it looked pretty easy when observing but when I actually tried it, it was much much harder than I thought. If you guys are up to it, you can give it a try—it’s a great ab exercise actually! Again, thanks for bearing with me and  tune in next week to see how I progress!

24 comments:

  1. HI Anirudh! How did you establish your standards of low, medium, and high workloads, and then how did you do the same for length of time? Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brent, the standards for low, medium, and high were relative. They were based on workloads in life including job, home, etc. They were also there to help the client's answer the question of what their workload was.

      Delete
  2. Hi Anirudh!

    Looks like you're making great progress with your research! How did you determine the level of intensity of each work out? What is your control group? Looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anjalee, thanks for reading! With the intensity of each workout, I did not really look into that as I focused more on how fitness can generally reduce stress. My control group would be people who infrequently workout and have high stress and people who frequently workout who have low stress.

      Delete
  3. Hey Anirudh. I was wondering what exactly are the requirements people need to fulfill in order to be in the control group and whether or not you are going to hand out the control group background essay to everyone? Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha, for the control group, the criteria is that I want to gather people who have high stress and workout infrequently and vice versa. For handing out the surveys, I have asked my site mentor to give to people who he thinks most closely fits that criteria. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anirudh! It's good to see your results are coming the way you are expecting. That just shows that as of now, your hypothesis is correct! I'm interested in seeing the results from the low workload group next week.

    Thanks and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi, thanks for reading! I hope with my control group, I have a stronger backing to show if my hypothesis is correct!

      Delete
  5. hi Anirudh, im glad to here that you got more people to take your survey. i am interested to see how people with a low workload are affected by exercise. i was wondering if age affected the amount of stress relieved during the workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean, thanks for reading! I am also interested to see how exercise affects low workload people as well. With your second question, I will ask my site mentor about that.

      Delete
  6. Hi Anirudh! Sounds like you had a productive week. What types of participants are involved in your control group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya! My control group involves people who either have high stress and do not workout often or people of low stress who workout often.

      Delete
  7. Wow, sounds like a great week! I don't have any pressing questions at this time; it sounds like you've got everything figured out and you explained it really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stirling, thanks for reading! I am glad you liked this post! Keep reading for more!

      Delete
  8. Hi Anirudh. Sounds like this week has been very productive for you. Did you notice any certain trends or patterns in your analysis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew, this week I saw that many people who have been working out for a short period of time seem to have lower stress. I also saw the people felt better in the short term post workout compared to pre-workout.

      Delete
  9. Hey! Wow, it really sounds like the data pulled through. Hearing about the relationship between stress levels and how often a person works out is really interest. Maybe I should go to the gym more often...hm. Well I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie, thanks for reading! I think the data pulled through for the sample group. Now I just need the control group. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  10. Hi! It's great to see your project progressing so well! I'm excited to see the results of the next survey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anil, thanks for reading! I am also excited to see the results of the control group survey to keep comparing them to the sample group.

      Delete
  11. Yay! Congratulations for more 'survey responders.' I remember a few weeks back wasn't too good for you.. That ab excercise seems weird, but I might give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Zak, thanks for reading! And yeah a few weeks the results were coming in at a slow rate. Now the sample group pulled through. And you should give the ab exercise a try, its a good one!

      Delete
  12. Hey Anirudh, good to hear that you can start looking at some results form the survey's. Is there any chance we could see the graph which you made this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riley, thanks for reading! Next week Ill try to incorporate a graph. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete