Friday, February 24, 2017

Week 3: A Relaxed But Engaging Week


Its Friday everyone! It’s the end of the week and everyone is looking forward to the weekend. (I hope!)  But with week ending, there are a lot of things I get to share with you all and I...
Before I talk about what I did this week I wanted to give you guys a glimpse of what my site looks like.  I know this is long overdue, but better late than never!

Basically this is the area where clients work out. What you cannot see in this picture is the other side of the building. On the other side, near the door, there are squat racks.  And near the interior on the other side, there is the front desk and in the very back are the bathrooms and showers.  It’s not a huge center but it’s very functional and overall a fun place to intern!
Now onto what I did this week. This week offsite , for me, was little bit more relaxed compared to the last to weeks. But,I was still able to progress with my action plan. Last week I had begun to condense my four surveys. I started to combine my post workout survey and background survey with my long-term survey.  This weekend I was able to finish condensing those three surveys into one bigger survey with three sections.After compiling those three surveys and finalizing the pre-workout survey, I had sent them to my faculty advisor and to my site mentor. On Monday, I was able to get my surveys the initial approval from my faculty advisor and on Tuesday, I got my site mentor’s approval.  The rest of this week for me was coordinating with my on site mentor and getting the initial surveys out to people. And as people take these surveys, I intend to tweak them based on any confusion or problems people have taking the survey.


This week on site, although somewhat relaxed, was still very eye opening. I still continued to observe clients and get in the occasional workout. But what a memorable event for me this week was being able to talk with my site mentor about fitness in general. We had a few talks that were very interesting to me.  The first talk was based on a question I had— “Can one type exercise reduce stress more than others?” He explained to me that there’s not one exercise that can reduce more stress than others. However, relatively speaking exercises that require more work or require a greater exertion can release more endorphins. The release of more endorphins can potentially reduce more stress.  In a way certain exercises that require more work could potentially reduce someone's stress more.

Another talk we had was on metabolism. It was based on the question I had that if a person eats smaller quantities of food more times in a day, could he or she increase their metabolism? He said that the amount of times you eat in a day matter less compared to what you eat— i.e do you get the right ratio of proteins to carbohydrates to fats. But he did not deny say that metabolism could change over time. He elaborated his view by giving me an example. For instance, if you initially were consuming 2000 calories and then decided for a span of time consume to only 1000 calories.  Then, he believes, that over that span of time, your metabolism could slow down. The question is, if metabolism could slow down, is there a possibility for it to speed up? If so then how? This question still interests me and I intend ask my site mentor more on it next week. 
Well, that was a lot of info in two paragraphs. So, I hope the memes and content still kept your attention! This past week the conversations I had with my site mentor were truly engaging and I hope they were interesting to you as well. I am also very eager to start giving out my initial surveys and am excited to see the results that come in. Again, I hope I did not bore you. Tune in next week to see my progress! 

26 comments:

  1. Hey Anirudh! I am glad you are enjoying yourself and getting a chance to workout! Sounds like a lot of fun! What kind of people are getting the surveys? Is age a criteria for the survey? Also, you could test out those questions you had for your site mentor by doing more exercise and seeing how it affects your stress. Just a thought... Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brent! Thanks for reading! To answer your first question, I am trying to get the surveys to a wide variety of clients–based on age, gender, frequency of working out, occupation etc. With regards to your second question, potentially. However, like my site mentor said, to see a change in metabolism it would take some time. So I could change my diet, but it would take some time to see the change. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  2. Hey Anirudh!
    I really appreciate you posting pictures of the site! I think it's really interesting how different workouts can potentially reduce your stress more. Great question! I'm interested to see how your research is going to progress next week. I can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan! Thanks for reading! With that question, many people had asked those questions before and I was unsure of the answer. So I asked my site mentor. He was able to clear that up for me. And I also hope I see some results next week! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Wow, the site looks great! It's interesting how we always hear of metabolism slowing but never about it speeding up. . . probably because it's always mentioned in the context of aging. I'm glad you're having such a great time at your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stirling! Thanks for reading! And yeah, it's a pretty cool site to intern at. Yeah commonly, we hear that as we age our metabolism slows down. The concept of metabolism speeding up is also still debated. I hope to look more into it!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anirudh!

    It seems like you are really enjoying your time on site! How did you end up condensing the three surveys? What specific sections did you break it up into? I can't wait to see how your research progresses! Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anjalee! Thanks for reading! With the surveys, I combined the background survey with the long term survey since they asked the same questions essentially. Then since I gave both the post workout and the long term survey after each client's session, I combined those two as well. Thus the three sections are the three surveys but a concise version of them.

      Delete
  5. Hey again. Your worksite looks awesome, even though its a bit small. Have you tried lifting those weights? :D
    Your research is very fascinating, involving stress and metabolism. I might try to workout this week as well! See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zak, thanks for reading! Yeah, I've tried lifting those weights, and I am able to lift some of them. But I have not tried lifting the weights on the heavier side, but maybe I'll get there. Thanks for reading again, and I hope when you workout it can reduce your stress( if you feel stress before)

      Delete
  6. Hi Anirudh! It seems like you're having a great time with insightful conversations at your internship site! With your discussion of the possibility of metabolism speeding up, do you plan on maybe incorporating that question into your research? Looking forward to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya! With regards to your question, I would have to see how that would fit in to my research but potentially I could add it in maybe as a side fact. However, I would need to look more into it. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Hi Anirudh! This post was very interesting as it got into the scientific aspects of working out. I think it would be interesting to expand a bit more on metabolism and diet. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Devin! Thanks for reading! Yeah I was also really excited as I got to learn more the scientific/biological aspect of working out from my site mentor. Again, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hey Anirudh, when you started talking about metabolism and how different foods and different quantities effect it, I was wondering if you had any idea how supplements and pre workouts impact it. Also, are you taking asking if people are taking stimulants before their workout, since that could impact your data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew! Thanks for reading! I had asked my site mentor about pre workouts and supplements and why people take it. However, we did not discuss how it related to metabolism. But I will ask him next week. With regards to your second question, I will look more into if people are taking stimulants.

      Delete
  9. Hey Anirudh. It was great reading more about your progress. I was wondering if you were going to study more on or incorporate the idea of metabolism into your project and relate that back to stress? Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha! Thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I would have to look more into how to metabolism may affect stress. It would have to be part of the dieting aspect but It would probably be a side fact. Potentially I could incorporate it though. Thanks for reading again!

      Delete
  10. Hey Anirudh, the site you are working at looks much different than I had imagined it would. Its great that you got the approval you needed for your survey. I can't wait to see how the survey is adjusted as time goes on and what results you get from the survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riley! Thanks for reading! And with the site, it is small and different but it is still a cool place to intern. I also hope to see what results I get!

      Delete
  11. (Insert generic greeting) Anirudh!
    Glad you got to my question about types of exercises! I'm also interested in what you'll find regarding increasing metabolism! Speaking of which, some foods are credited with increasing metabolism (mostly fruits, vegetables, spices, etc.), so are there any foods that would actually DECREASE metabolism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anil! With that question, a lot of people also asked that, but I did not know the full answer. So, I asked my site mentor. With regards to your second question, I am not sure at the moment. I will ask my site mentor if he knows. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  12. hey Anirudh,
    thank you for providing pictures of the site you are working at, it looks much different than what i imagined. i have one question, would group exercises, such as a weight class, or zumba, potentially reduce stress more, or is it only the quality of the workout that matter? thank you for the update and i feel like the questions you asked were great as they are very common questions that i myself have asked trainers before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean! Thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I would have to ask more on group exercises could also reduce more stress. So far my site mentor had said exercises that require more exertion could potentially reduce more stress. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  13. Hey Anirudh! The site you are working at looks really engaging and a fun place to be. You mention your further progress with the surveys which is great! Hopefully in the coming week, your progress furthers. Good luck with your ongoing research and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi! Thanks for reading! I also hope to see results come in next week. Hopefully I see something new! Thanks again for reading!

      Delete