Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 2: What I Was Able to Workout


Hey Everybody!  I hope you all had a good and exciting week today! For me this week has been great! I was able to workout a general routine, while also making headway on my project.  For me,  a common day would be coming in and discussing my progress with my on site mentor then observing any willing clients and asking them questions and getting in the occasional workout. 

Before I get into nitty gritty details of what I did with my project, I wanted to share an exciting thing that I was able to do this week!  This week I actually worked with my site mentor. It was really fun because I was able to get in my daily exercise at my site and also learn some cool new exercises.  But wait…
What was different and more exciting this time was that I got to experience first hand on how fitness can affect mood. This week was very stressful initially as I was worrying about the logistics of my project. But after I exercised, I was less anxious and stressed; it essentially calmed me down. To see this happen live was very exciting! It also clearly showed how out of shape I was.


In addition to being able to get a daily workout in, I was also able to progress with my project. Last week I talked to my on site mentor and my faculty advisor about creating the questions for the surveys I wanted to give to the clients. Last weekend, I created a draft of the surveys. I sent this initial draft to my faculty advisor Ms. Afsa and she made some suggestions on the surveys. Of the edits she suggested, one major addition she proposed was a question that was similar “ Rate how you feel now on a scale of 1-10.” By adding this to the before and after surveys, I would be able to quantifiably compare how clients felt pre and post workout.  To me, it seemed that, despite the error that arises from quantifying mood, adding this question would help me better compare how clients are responding to exercise.  

Also, my on site mentor highlighted another major red flag. When I had showed him the surveys I had created, there were a total of four surveys: one background, one pre-workout survey, one post-workout survey, and one long-term survey. He explained how four surveys would be daunting and people and would dissuade clients from taking them. As a solution, he told me to combine some of the surveys. So far, I have combined the post workout survey and the background with the long- term survey and kept the pre-workout survey. However, I am still finalizing the format of the combined surveys.

Another task I had progressed on this week was deciding whom I wanted to give the surveys to and whom I wanted as my control group. I initially started with deciding whom I wanted to distribute the surveys to. After consulting with my faculty advisor, I decided to spread the survey to however many clients are willing to take it.  With regards to my control group, I have decided that I wanted two types of people. The first type consists of people who workout/exercise regularly and state they have low stress or are not in a disturbed mood state often. The second consists of people who infrequently workout and report that they have a lot of stress or are in a disturbed mood state often.  Thus, after conducting my research, I would be see if there is a relation between fitness, stress, and other disturbed mood states.
 Phew! That was super long and had so much detail. I hope I didn’t hurt your brains or put you to sleep!  This is what I was able to accomplish this week and although there are still some details to work out, the whole experience still thrills me. I am very curious to see what the results are and I hope you are as well! Tune in next week to see what I do next!



32 comments:

  1. I love this week's blog post title! Keep working it out, Anirudh! :) Your on-site mentor makes a good point. If you administer one survey, though, we'll you be able to gain an idea as to how people's attitudes/perceptions change throughout their workouts? Would it be possible to administer two surveys instead of four?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Mitrovich, thank you for reading! I think it will be possible to administer two surveys instead of four and I have been working on condensing my surveys. I also think, through my short term surveys, I will be able to see how clients feel right after the workout. With my long term survey, I will be able to see over time how has fitness helped them.

      Delete
  2. Hey Anirudh! Your project sounds really interesting! I am glad that you get a chance to be a part of your research and that you can work out. Do you think there is any way to help correct the error of quantifying moods? Looking forward to the next post! Keep me posted on your workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brent, thanks for reading! Yeah working out at my site was really fun! With regards to your question, I would have to look more into how I can reduce the error of quantifying mood, but I think there will be some error because mood is very subjective and can easily change. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  3. Hey Anirudh!
    I'm glad to see your project coming along! I think surveys are great idea to rate how your groups are feeling pre and post workout. However, I feel like you're being to specific with the kinds of groups you want. Isn't it possible that someone who doesn't workout regularly doesn't feel stressed all the time? Likewise, with someone who workouts every day. Just some food for thought. I'm excited for your Week 3 post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nathan, thanks for reading! To answer your question, there could be people that do not workout as much but are not as stressed and vice versa. But I'm trying to gather people closest to the ideal demographic that I want. With the help of my site mentor I think I will be able to do that. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Anirudh!

    It's so good to hear that you're enjoying your time on site so much and are able to continue to make more and more progress with regards to your project! Are there certain types of work-outs (cardio, strength training, etc.) that might reduce stress more? Do you plan on going into the specifics of the participants workout routines?
    Looking forward to next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anjalee, thanks for reading! With regards to your question, many people had asked this before, but I did not fully know the answer. But this week I asked my site mentor. What he said was that there not really one exercise that will do that but relatively exercises that require more work will release more endorphins. This potentially could reduce more stress. Exercises such as squats or bench press and exercises that release more endorphins could potentially reduce more stress.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anirudh! It sounds like everything is going great. How will you deal with the possibility of a placebo effect? I guess I just don't quite understand who will be in the control group and how that will be managed, but you sound like you're figuring that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stirling! With regards to your first question, I haven't thought much about the placebo effect, but I will look into that in relation to my research. With my control group, I want to ideally target people who workout regularly and are not as stressed and people who do not regularly workout and are more stressed.

      Delete
  6. Hey!
    I love how you got to learn how fitness can affect your mood. It really goes to show just how important fitness is to live a happy life. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie! Thanks for reading and I'm glad my research interests you! Tune in next week for more!

      Delete
  7. Hey, I love how your project is progressing, yet how will you get a control group, could people's answers be persuaded after they hear what your research is about? Also, do you think different types, or intensities of workouts will change their mood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew! Thanks for reading! To get a control group I will ask my site mentor for help. To answer you question, people could be slightly inclined to answer differently, but I do not really explain my research in the survey. I just request them if they could quickly take the survey. With regards to your second question, that is very subjective for everyone. The amount of energy spent on the exercise is the same but the intensity changing people's mood is different for everyone.

      Delete
  8. Hi
    Love the title pun. Would you consider asking the people being surveyed about their diet? And do you think diet would also play a role in stress? I see your project is progressing well so keep on trucking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anil, thanks for reading! And I tried to incorporate workout in the title somehow. Im not explicitly surveying people's diets, but I think diet can play a role in how people feel over time with fitness. Dieting affects how people external fitness—with regards to fat loss for instance. So if people have a good diet, it can affect people's satisfaction with fitness. However, I am not fully sure how it plays to stress. I will ask my site mentor though.

      Delete
  9. Hi Anirudh, you had very interesting ideas as to your survey and I hope you get the results you are looking for. It will be interesting to see them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Devin! Thanks for reading! I hope I get the results to and I'm glad my research interests you! Keep reading for more!

      Delete
  10. Awesome! The two different groups sound interesting. With the next few weeks, I hope you can get some rest. Some busy days ahead: more workouts and analyzing statistics and surveys. ;) See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zak! Thanks for reading! Yeah I hope I get some rest but I still have to analyze the results. Again tune in next week for more!

      Delete
  11. That is amazing that you were able to experience the effects of fitness on mood for yourself. It is great that you are working out all the little details in your survey. I can't wait to start seeing the results of your final survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riley, thanks for reading! I am also anxious to see the results as well!

      Delete
  12. Hey Anirudh, it is great to see that you are experiencing the stress relieving benefits of working out. As to the survey i was wondering do you think that age would affect the answers on wether working out is a stress reliever? Also do you think that environment of working out would affect the benefits, for example working out in doors verses working out outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean, thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I think age could affect stress, however, I would have to look more into that. To answer your second question, I am analyzing fitness in general to see if it can reduce stress. Potentially the environment could, but I am researching fitness in general.

      Delete
  13. Hey Anirudh! You seem to be progressing with your experiments at the gym. Experiencing stress relief from working out must have been a great feeling! You have been given great advice from your site mentor as your surveys can lead the clients to not be interested in your testing anymore. I hope you progress further in the coming week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kasi, thanks for reading! Experiencing stress relief was pretty cool after working out! And yes, my site mentor did make a good point and I am taking his suggestions to my surveys. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  14. Hi Anirudh! I'm glad you're enjoying your project this much. Are the post-workout, background, and long-term surveys pretty similar? If so, is that why you chose to combine those three? You'll probably discuss this as you finalize everything more, but I was just wondering why you chose to combine those three specifically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shreya! Thanks for reading! With regards to your question, I combined the background survey with the long term survey because the initial long term survey basically asked the background questions. I combined the post workout survey with the long term survey as both surveys were intended to be asked post workout. Thus I decided to combined those three.

      Delete
  15. Hi Anirudh. It was interesting reading about how you got to see your idea of exercise relieving stress in action. I was also wondering if you considered making a long term survey to go along with the pre-workout survey asking the clients how they think exercising will affect their stress levels. Thanks and can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anisha! Thanks for reading! I haven't created a separate survey for that but I hope to analyze that with of the results of the surveys I have now.

      Delete
  16. Hi Anirudh,
    It is so awesome that you get to participate in the exercise as well, so that you can relate how you feel to your project, and have a real hands-on experience in what you are researching. I cant wait to see what kind of data the survey results will bring in. I read in a post above if age would have a correlation. I definitely think it would, as usually people have different lifestyle norms at different ages. Maybe you can incorporate into a survey how old they are, or put different ranges, so that you can include that data in your research. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Afsa, thanks for reading! I also think age could be a factor given people could have different lifestyles and I will try to incorporate that into my surveys. I've asked my site mentor to distribute the surveys based on age as well so I hope to get that wide variety of people. Thanks again for reading!

      Delete